My husband grew up on a beef cattle farm so sloppy joes were a mainstay in his diet. So delicious and saucy. Also a staple at every family occasion. After we gave up eating grains, we had no way of eating our sloppy joes. No buns = big mess. I decided to remedy that, while also cleaning up our family recipe a bit to make them a healthy meal that we can add to our meal planning schedule. They turned out even better than I expected!
- 2 lbs grass-fed beef
- 1/2 large yellow organic onion (plus bacon fat for sautéing)
- 1 jar of my homemade tomato sauce (recipe here), or 16 oz tomato sauce (preferably from a glass jar, like this, to avoid BPA)
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup organic ketchup — where to find
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp celery seed powder
- In a skillet, sauté onions in bacon fat until they are translucent
- Add beef to crockpot and turn on high
- Add all of the ingredients to crockpot and stir to combine
- Cook on high for one hour, checking and stirring occasionally
- You can also cook it on low for several hours, until the meat is done
- Once meat is cooked through it’s time to eat!
- Serve with lettuce cups, on large portabello mushroom caps, or however you like your sloppy joes!
CLICK HERE to Pin this recipe