I have to admit that I was intimidated to make beet kvass because I thought it was going to be super involved. Then one day I had some beets leftover from a smoothie I was making and I decided to just finally give kvass a try. Wow, it is so easy! This has now become as routine for us as kombucha brewing!
It also happens to have the following health-giving benefits:
- Aids digestion
- Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant
- Promotes regularity
- Alkalizes the body
- Cleans the liver and helps it perform its detoxification processes
- Hangover antidote
- Helps with anemia (due to its iron content)
- Helps your vision (due to its Lutein and Zeaxanthin content)
- Has been shown to help prevent tumor growth
- 1 large beet, cut into 1" pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and quartered (you can use more if you like, I love lots of garlic!)
- 1 Tbsp Himalayan sea salt
- Filtered water
- 2-3 whey cubes (optional, you can just use salt)
- 1 large glass 1/2 gallon container
1. Add beets, garlic, salt and whey to jar.
2. You can use different kinds of jars, as long as they are glass. I use either of these, but typically the mason jar.
3. Fill with water to the top of the jar, leaving 1" headroom.
4. Stir with a large spoon.
5. Cover with a breathable cotton cloth, so critters can't get in.
6. Let sit in a temperate area for 1-2 days, depending on how warm our house is....if you live in a hot climate it will be ready sooner.
7. That's it! (I bet you thought it was waaaay more complicated, I did!).
8. When it's ready you can ladle it into individual glass containers for grab-and-go kvass, or store in pretty wine bottles as pictured at the top!