The way that I cook involves reading through a bunch of recipes for one particular food and then coming up with my own variation that is either Paleo, kid friendly, or made with food that I have on hand. This recipe meets all of these criteria.
Sun-dried tomato, balsamic onion pot roast:
- 1 large beef roast (I have no idea which cut I used, I found it in our freezer)
- 3 large sweet onions
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp lard for searing beef
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 cups beef broth (beef bone broth, preferably)
- Season roast with salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Sear the beef in lard on a hot skillet.
- Sear each side for about 3 minutes, until thoroughly browned. This step is very important so don’t omit it!
- Next slice the onions and place on the bottom of your crockpot. Place beef on top the onions.
- Cook tomatoes in 1 cup water until softened. Then purée.
- Pour tomato puree over meat in crockpot. Add beef broth and balsamic vinegar. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170*.
- Take meat out and slice. Reduce the cooking liquid by half and drizzle over meat.
- Serve sliced with onions and sauce on top….we also added pureed squash and baby carrots to make it more appealing to the kiddos.
If you like this post, please +1 and share below. You can also “Pin it” HERE.