In our on-going adventures of finding healthy grain-free options to our favorite breakfast foods, I came up with this recipe. Grain-free waffles! Pass the syrup! They are super easy to make and if you double the batch, you can freeze a ton of them! Did someone say “lego my eggo”? The cool part is that these waffles are green inside, due to a chemical reaction between the sun-butter and the baking soda….very cool! If you like, you can substitute almond butter too.
- 3 medium banana
- 3 medium apples, peeled and cored
- 1 (16oz) container of sun-butter (or you can use smooth almond butter)
- 6 medium pastured eggs
- 3 TBSP arrowroot powder
- 3 TBSP vanilla extract
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- coconut oil for greasing waffle iron
- Puree apple and banana in a food processor.
- Use the whisk attachment on your electric mixer and whip sun-butter on high for 2-3 minutes until smooth and fluffed.
- Add puree and remaining ingredients to whipped sun-butter and continue to whip until combined.
- Grease your hot waffle maker with coconut oil (for each waffle you make).
- Use about 1 ladle of batter per 8-by-4-inch waffle onto hot waffle iron for 3-5 minutes until browned. Do not fill up entire waffle maker, leave about 40% unfilled so that the batter can spread. If your waffle is soft or floppy, it’s not ready yet – keep cooking for another minute or two!
- Eat immediately or store flat in freezer and make your own breakfast by reheating in toaster – the waffles will be firm enough
- Makes about 2.5 dozen!