Working in the hospital and pushing pills has made me never want to take them myself. So, when anyone in our household has the first signs of a cold I put on my witch-doctor cap and make up some potion or tonic. Enter the Master Tonic. You will find different variations of this recipe all over the web, but I have created my own with unique health-giving properties and quite a PUNCH! Try some….if you dare!
- 3 inch piece of fresh ginger root
- 3 inch piece of fresh horseradish root, peeled
- 2 large organic white onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 large heads of garlic, peeled (not 3 cloves….3 HEADS!)
- 8-10 organic jalapeños (or any hot pepper you prefer), stems removed
- 1 (32 oz.) bottle raw apple cider vinegar (where to find)
Make sure to peel the horseradish first…..
- Wash and chop all of the ingredients
- Put everything into a high powered blender
- Add apple cider vinegar and blend until smooth
- Put into a large glass jar
- Cover with lid
- It should be shaken once daily while infusing
- Cover with a towel and let it sit for 4 (or more) weeks on the counter
- Then strain through a mesh strainer and put back into glass container
- Store in the refrigerator
- Should last up to 2 years in the fridge (seriously, what bugs dare proliferate in it?!)
How to use:
- Gargle and swallow. Don’t dilute with water.
- Take 2-4 Tbsp, three times daily at the first signs of a cold
- If you’re already sick then take it six times daily
- It is safe for pregnant women and children in smaller doses (after all it’s just food!)
- If you have trouble getting it down, try sweetening it up with honey or mixing it in with some juice/kombucha/bone broth (of course no honey for anyone under 1 year of age!)
- Ginger: Has a wonderful warming effect on the body, which causes us to sweat and expel toxins. Ginger is also known to sooth the gastrointestinal tract. Ginger enhances blood flow…and can even thin the blood, so talk with your doctor if you are already on a blood thinner
- Horseradish: Ever eaten a spoonful of wasabi paste on a dare? Yeah me neither….why would anyone do that! Ahem. If you had, you would know the sensation of instant sinus shock, they clear up immediately. That’s why it’s in this tonic. Bu-bye stuffy nose…..right now!
- Onions: Onions are a rich source of the antioxidant Quercitin, which is anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, antiviral, thought to have diverse anti-cancer powers
- Garlic: Natures antibiotic, anti-viral, and anti-fungal! It can also enhance blood flow…and can even thin the blood, so talk with your doctor if you are already on a blood thinner
- Jalapeños: The active ingredient in peppers (capsaicin) is a well known pain reliever. Peppers are also anti-inflammatory. So, in effect its like putting a little ibuprofen in the tonic….only its not ibuprofen, its peppers. Save your stomach from the NSAID stomach rot! They actually help your digestion too. Winning!
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Unless you have been living under a rock, you may have heard of the many, many, many uses and benefits of apple cider vinegar. Well, aside from being a great furniture polish and hair rinse, it also helps your bode eliminate toxins. Plus, it helps strengthen the immune system, promotes digestion, and relieves sore throats, colds, and sinus infections.
So let’s just whip up a batch of this every flu season and opt out of the ‘ol flu shot, shall we? I sure wish I could pass this stuff out at the hospital!
CLICK HERE to Pin this post
If you enjoyed this recipe, please +1 and share below.