We like to use as much of the animal that we can when we cook. Respect the whole animal like they used to back in the day. So, I have been experimenting with organ meats. They definitely have a different flavor profile, but their nutritional content keeps me experimenting. Organ meats are some of the most nutritionally dense foods on the planet. Plus, they cost a fraction of the price of regular meats.
Because it is a muscle meat, heart is very similar to steak, roasts and ground beef, but is typically less expensive (we blame the “ick” factor for that!) and actually has a higher protein content. In addition, heart is an excellent source of a number of nutrients, including thiamin, folate, selenium, phosphorus, zinc, CoQ10 and several of the B vitamins. In addition, beef heart contains amino acids that are thought to improve metabolism and compounds that promote the production of collagen and elastin (source)
Here is a tasty way that I came up with to sneak heart meat into our diet.
- 2 Tbsp bacon grease
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 8 cloves fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 2 lbs ground beef (grass-fed)
- 1 beef heart (about 1 lb. ground, also grass-fed)
- 2 pastured eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut flour (where to get)
- 1 Tbsp sea salt (where to get)
- 2 tsp dried rosemary (where to get)
- 1/2 tsp paprika (where to get)
- 1/2 tsp oregano (where to get)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (where to get)
- Melt bacon grease in large skillet over medium high heat
- Sauté carrots and celery in skillet until they are soft
- Trim fat and vessels off of the heart and cut into chunks
- Process beef heart in a food processor, one chunk at a time until it is the consistency of ground beef
- Add in onion and garlic and process until they are incorporated with the heart meat
- In separate bowl, combine meats, eggs, flour, and spices
- Mix together with your hands, add in vegetables and mix well.
- Top each meatloaf muffin with 1 Tbsp sauce
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees
- Makes approximately 30 muffins
- They also freeze well!
CLICK HERE to Pin this recipe
If you enjoyed this post, please +1 and share below
This post is part of: Eat Fat FridayPAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.