A simple, hearty soup using the humblest of ingredients. This is perfect for winter months when you need a soup on the table in less than 30 minutes. We added half cup of heavy cream to finish the soup, but you can use less if you prefer to do so. Enjoy with gluten-free bread or slurp up as is.
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 rosemary twig, needles picked and finely chopped
- 2-3 large chicken breasts (skinless and deboned), sliced
- 3 cups warm chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt, to season
- Parsley, to garnish
- Cook the wild rice in a pan of salted, boiling water until done.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a large pan and gently sauté the onions, carrot, celery, garlic and chopped rosemary until softened.
- Drain the cooked rice (once done) and add to the pan of vegetables. Add the raw chicken pieces, then pour in the warm chicken stock.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer to poach the chicken pieces and reduce the broth a little.
- Stir in the heavy cream and warm through.
- Season with salt and divide the soup between 4 warm bowls and garnish with parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 550 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0.5g Cholesterol: 170mg Sodium: 310mg Carbohydrates: 41g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 9g Protein: 38g