A satisfying meal in 40 minutes! This lovely, spicy dish flavored with cumin and cayenne pepper – you will love this version of chili using chicken breasts and cannellini beans (which are available cooked and canned, ready to use). Each helping is very generous and packed with flavor.
*Adjust the number of green chilies and amount of cayenne pepper according to your preference.
- 2 TB olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts (skinless and deboned), cut into chunks
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 green chilies, seeds removed and finely diced
- ½ TB ground cumin
- ½ TB dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 cups cannellini beans, drained weight
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese, to serve
- 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced to serve
- Chopped cilantro, to garnish
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large pan and brown the chicken pieces on the outside. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the second tablespoon olive oil to the same pan and cook the onion, garlic and green chilies over moderate heat until they have softened.
- Add the cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper to the pan. Tip in the cannellini beans and return the chicken pieces to the pan. At this time, pour in the chicken broth.
- Cook over moderate heat until most of the liquid has reduced and you are confident the chicken pieces have cooked through.
- Taste the mixture and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Divide the mixture between 4 warm bowls and scatter over grated Cheddar, fresh jalapeno slices and plenty of freshly chopped cilantro.
Learn how to make your own broth here.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 540 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 145mg Sodium: 740mg Carbohydrates: 41g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 7g Protein: 49g