Ah, granola, such a delicious treat that typically centers around “healthy whole grains.” Well, we only eat a few, if any, grains at all. How can we still enjoy granola without the grain? One word: bacon.
This granola has a nut base, which means that it’s filled with healthy fats, fiber, and protein. Then I sweetened it with honey, gave it some flavor with vanilla and cinnamon, and then threw in some bacon. Bacon makes everything better. So, why not make bacon granola?!
You can change it up too if you’d like. I have done variations that included: shredded coconut, dried rosemary, raisins, and even dark chocolate chips. The perfect snack to keep in your purse or diaper bag for when you are out and about!
- 1 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups sliced almonds
- 2 cups walnuts
- 2 cups sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Start with the nuts and bacon.
- I had precooked my bacon the night before. Use shears to cut the bacon and cook it into the perfect bacon crumbles!
- Add in the honey.
- Then the cinnamon and vanilla.
- Mix until every nut is covered in bacon, honey, cinnamon, and vanilla. Then try not to eat it all before it goes into the oven!
- Spread on a Silpat covered baking sheet (seriously, the Silpat is a game changer with granola. Otherwise you will be soaking and scrubbing your baking sheet for days!).
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until nice and crispy.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Store your bacon granola in an airtight container or Zilpoc bag. Lasts months in the freezer, or a few weeks in the fridge.
Watch the video below for more info